DBS Umbrella Disclosure Service - Operating a limited service by appointment only. Please email or ring for further information
Caring Hands Charity has been registered with the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly the CRB) as an Umbrella Body since 2004.
As an umbrella organisation we comply with the DBS Code of Practice
. Under the provisions of the Code and our Data Protection policy, sensitive personal information is handled and stored appropriately and kept only as long as is necessary.
We can offer a same day application service to any eligible person requiring a DBS check. Forms are available on site, and countersignatories are on hand to help complete the form and verify your personal documents. DBS Certificates are provided by the Disclosure and Barring Service organisation - an executive agency of the Home Office.
Only employers and licensing bodies can request a DBS check. You can only check someone’s criminal record if they’re applying for certain roles . Self-employed individuals can’t complete a DBS check on themselves. Instead, they can request a Basic Disclosure online or ask an organisation they work for to act as their governing body to register with us then the individual may apply for their check if they’re carrying out certain roles. The fee applied will be the same as an employed individual (see below.) If the organisation carries out criminal records checks, they must have a Policy on Employing Ex-offenders and show it to any applicant who asks for it. The organisation is responsible for ensuring that the specific position is eligible for a DBS check before submitting to Caring Hands Charity for countersigning. This DBS tool will help you to find out if you can apply for a DBS check.
Levels of criminal record check available
- Standard check – only available for certain occupations & entry into identified professions as specified in the Exceptions Order to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974*. Shows spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings.
- Enhanced check – for positions involved in regularly caring for, tranining, supervising, in sole charge or working with children/vulnerable adults. Shows the same as a standard check plus any information held by local police that’s considered relevant to the role.
- Enhanced check with barred lists– for positions involved in regularly caring for, training, supervising, in sole charge or working with children/vulnerable adults. Shows the same as an enhanced check plus whether the applicant is on the list of people barred from doing the role.
* You can access the various Police Act 1997 (Criminal Records) regulations by searching for them on www.legislation.gov.uk . Payment Online – The charity is charged a fee for each payment processed online, this adds approximately 27p on £5.00 increasing to approximately 90p on £50.00. If you do wish to support our charity and add a small amount to your payment then please do. No Pressure ! 😊 Please click the link below to pay online:
Thanks for the payment 👍
Charges for DBS applications
Standard or Enhanced Disclosure
(including £10.00 administration fee)
(including £10.00 administration fee)
Organisations can apply for registration here Please note: this is not a DBS application form but a form for Organisations to register with Caring Hands. Caring Hands Charity will provide the original DBS application forms. For further information and assistance please contact us . Payment must be received at the time of application (or in advance) in order for us to complete the process. An invoice can be provided on request. This DBS tool: https://www.gov.uk/find-out-dbs-check will help you to find out if you are eligible to apply for a DBS check. Organisations can arrange to collect the application forms directly from our office for their staff/volunteers to complete. The staff/volunteers can come in with all necessary documents (see below) and complete their DBS application form in our office. Also a representative from the organisation could return the completed DBS application forms together with the original documents (see below) and a payment.
Application Process IN PERSON:
Applicants can complete a DBS application form in our office. We are open for this service Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 10.30am – 1.30pm by appointment only. We must view at least three original documents. These documents must separately verify the identity and residence of the individual. All documents should be hard copy and original. We will only accept good quality photocopies of the verified documents. These must be signed by a verifier who has completed the training provided by Caring Hands Charity. To complete the verification process quickly, we suggest the applicant provides all of the following documents:
- Passport (any current and valid passport);
- Valid current driving licence (full or provisional) – UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and EU;
- A document with National Insurance number included on it (e.g. payslip, NI letter, P45, P60 etc.);
- A recent official posted document showing your current address (e.g. utility bill, financial statement etc.);
- If the applicant does not have a valid passport or driving licence they should follow DBS guidance using the list of groups 1, 2a and 2b documents.
For any assistance and advice please contact us .